PDA

View Full Version : Picking up dog at Airport

duxbac
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Just looking for advice in picking up a dog at Pearson-Toronto International airport. I have a pup coming from Memphis into Toronto next week. I asked the breeder to pick a night direct flight (when it is cooler) but I am a complete rookie here. Anything else I need to think of? Do animals come through the same terminal as people? Where do you go to pick them up? Any special paperwork required?
Help much appreciated.
Thanx
Bryon

Baby Duck
07-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Depending on the airline it could be at either side if the airport. No the pup will not come through the human terminal. You will also have customs to deal with. Flights generally leave ther first thing and direct flights are unlikely so it will be mid to late afternoon by the time it cones in. Some airlines are easier to work with for sure. Call the airline and get the cargo address for them. That will make it easier. Ask for building code because most do not have signs outside telling you which to goto. It was a bit confusing the first couple times I went bit now after shipping/ picking up over 100 puppies it's down to a science

Mike

captainjack
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Bryon,

It will most likely will be shipped cargo and picked up at cargo. Make sure that the customs is open when the dog comes in - morning may be safer than evening. You will have to go thru customs and if they are not open the pup will have to wait until it is open. Have them put in a bill of sale and I would suggest low balling it if this is an expensive purchase as they have idea on the price and will charge gst and I would guess HST now.
All other paper work will be the responsibility of the shipper ie. international health certificate, temperature requirements, etc..

Peter

susan
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Private Message sent

zeekster
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
take drive to Buffalo and pick pup up there if at all possible

pastorjames50@gmail.com
07-09-2010, 03:16 PM
DO NOT GO TO BUFFALO...TOO MUCH HASSLE FROM THE AMERICANS
Go through Toronto...call airline to get SPECIFIC details on time, where and directions.
Get bill of sale sent with puppy along with vet papers...also get these papers sent to you by fax or email so you can take papers with you in hand.Take personal ID.
First time I did this at Toronto, I was there 4 hours, it's not that bad...but DO NOT go through the U.S.

susan
07-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I have picked up two dogs from the States.
It was VERY easy.
You have many more airlines & arrival times to pick.

Susan

pastorjames50@gmail.com
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
For someone who has little to no experience in this area, it would be a nightmare...think about it.

pastorjames50@gmail.com
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
For someone who has little to no experience in this area, it would be a nightmare and stressful.....think about it!

Big Bird
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
The night mare would be in Toronto.... three terminals, more expensive shipping costs, customs clearance at the airport. The only advantage may be in availabilty of a direct flight which I would strongly recommend.

Buffula, one terminal, easier parking, no customs clearance at the airport , as you do that at the border. Cross the border at Fort Erie or Niagara Falls. Avoid Lewiston...

Like suggested earlier, make sure you have a copy of medical certificate, and bill of sale for the importation.

Lenore
07-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Does the pup have an actual flight already? If it is too hot in Memphis, I don't think the pup can/will fly, airline rules. I would check there first. I know a dog can't be flown from NC to NY because of the heat. As for the airport deal, I haven't done an airport pick up but I do know that crossing the border with a pup is very easy. Good luck!

BdBHunts
07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
If temps are an issue there are ground shippers who could get it close to the border and you could drive across and pick up the dog. I have shipped and picked up dogs by air at Pearson and also driven to upstate NY to pick one up for someone else. Less hassle by driving across, maybe had something to due with the fact that the Customs agent was from the same area as my sister-in-law.:lol:

Seriously though if you can get the flight at night it is easier traffic wise. You with have to pick up the waybill, drive all the way around the airport to the opposite side to get to Customs and back again. If the pup arrives by Air Canada then the office is next door which is easy. Office is open 24 hours I believe, better than most airports either side of the border, as Rose was picked up at 2:00am.

If you would like to consider the ground shipping route let me know, on another board someone posted a question about looking for names of shippers.

luvmylabs
07-11-2010, 10:01 AM
After 8:00pm all but one of the customs offices are closed. We had to go to the middle of the infield to find the customs since our pup came in at 11:00pm. Last pup we brought in from the US, we shipped to Syracuse and picked him up there. Talk about hassle free!!! Small airport, little traffic, pup brought right into the terminal for pick up. Simple to drive through customs. Have decided that that is the way we will be bringing any future pups in. For us very little difference time wise to drive there as it is to drive to Toronto and a lot less hassle than driving through Toronto.

Anne

BdBHunts
07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Last pup we brought in from the US, we shipped to Syracuse and picked him up there.

Nice scenery on the drive there as well.

Lenore
07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I second using Syracuse Airport. I have shipped a dog to Utah through Syracuse, very hassle free. Good suggestion!

B&T
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I shipped mine in through Syracuse. It was super easy to find, the people were great and customs weren't bad when we got to the border.
We shipped one in through Toronto and it was a complete nightmare, swore we wouldn't do it again. Had to go to cargo to get his paper work, drive around the outside of the airport in rush hour to Customs to pay for him and then drive back around through rush hour to give the forms back to cargo to release the puppy. Customs officer was a complete power hungry jerk and I didn't think he was going to release the puppy.
Syracuse gets my vote every time. If by some remote chance there is going to be a problem at customs with paperwork you still have the puppy and it can get out of it's crate it's not stuck in a warehouse somewhere wondering what the hell happened.
Just my 2c

duxbac
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the information!
I followed your advise and the pup will arrive in Buffalo on Friday via Delta airlines. (wooo whooo!!!!)
I'll post picks over the weekend.
Thanks agan
B

duxbac
07-17-2010, 08:18 PM
The Saga .... Pup was supposed to arrive in Buffalo via Delta airlines at 4:37 p.m. on Friday but when the pup breeder tried to ship an airport official wouldn't let him load it to the plane. Telling them it was too hot. Delta tried to assure the guy that pets are transported in air conditioning but no go...so...made other arrangements through another airport and the pup was shipped to via a connecting flight through Atlanta to arrive in Buffalo at 10:47pm Friday night. The flight was 1 hour late so the new arrival time was 11:47pm. I was informed about 11:30 that the dog was not on the flight and they did not have time to load her and that she was still in Altanta.:mad2: They assured me she would be on the Saturday morning flight and would arrive at 10:52 a.m. so we grapped a hotel, stayed the night, and picked her up this morning none the worst for wear. We arrived home about 24 hours after I left and right now she is doing her best to drive the big dog crazy.:high5:
Lesson 1: use a direct flight.
Lesson 2: It is better to ship dogs in the spring and fall.
Thank God everthing worked out well.
I'll post pics and more information for those interested.

Lenore
07-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Glad you finally got her!! Now post some pictures with all the details about her.

just chessies
07-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Better late then never, now she can take all her frustrations out on the big guy. I'm glad everything turned out good for everybody involved. Looking forward to some pics. when you have the time. Marv. Calhoun