Zinger Winger Nimkii Game Calls Dakota Creek Retrievers Canadian Waterfowl Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Age To Spay a Labrador

Default What Age To Spay a Labrador

Looking for advice as to the best age to spay a Labrador. I was told that this should be done at 20 weeks of age but somehow that seems to be very young?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - as well as pros and cons of sooner rather than later.

My Social Networking

Follow Kevin Hannah On Twitter Add Kevin Hannah on Facebook

First off welcome to the posting side of the board, glad to see you jump in.

One pro to sooner is they weigh less and the anethetic required is less therefor less $.
    The best stick together and the worst get together to make themselves feel better.

www.gkcalls.com

I personally have a problem spaying any dog that young. There has been some research done to say that spaying before a year old is asking for certain types of cancers, crutiate problems, possible bladder problems as well as just not physically maturing properly. I always ask my new puppy owners to wait until the pups a physically mature before they spay or neuter. I know the heats are a pain, but I think there are less potential problems if you wait until your dog is 1-2 years old. my2cents.

Anne

There is no reason to have it done unless there is a problem with the dog .Vets want to have them done at 6mos because it is easer for them . I have lots of dog not done and the vets says they will get cancer. I have had a dog live till 15 and he didn't die of cancer and had both of them when I had him put down . I would not spayed a bitch till she is 2 yrs old you want them to fully develope. Then it is up to you. Terry

Amateur Field Champion

Default Don't spay, or at least wait til mature

Go to RTF & do a search for the thread on spaying; there's a link to very interesting research showing that we should not spay or neuter at all if possible; if you need to, do it after dog matures: 2 or 3.

Way better for dog's health, less cancer & other health problems. You'll be convinced if you read the research articles. This reversed my thinking & past practice on spaying & neutering.

Connie

WOW< I am intrieged by reading this, My blavk lab is 6 months and I was ready to set an appointment to have her spayed, I never heard of this in the past. I always had figure as a pup would be best around the 6 month area?? I had vets tell me that. on the fence now of what is the right thing to do.

The arbitrary 6 months for spaying is recommended as the pup is grown up enough to handle the anesthetic and surgery well, but is still before their first heat. Spaying does decrease the risk of mammary tumours. In Europe where spaying is less common mammary tumours are 40-50% of all tumours found in female dogs.

Relative risk for mammary tumours is 0.5% if spayed before first heat, 8% if spayed between 1st and 2nd heat, and 26% if spayed between 2nd and 3rd heat.
    Bitches spayed after 2 years have a 7x greater risk of mammary cancer than those done at 6 months. No not every dog that's not spayed will get mammary tumours, only about 1 in 4 and maybe not 'till they're older, but if your not planning to breed your dog, you have to consider the risk, as well as the risk of pyometra and dealing with heats spring and fall.

Hunting breeds at risk increased risk include the spaniels and pointing breeds. The only credible study I've seen on the difference between neutered and un-neutered males and females is that neutering before puberty or 12-14 months will delay growth plate closure in the long bones as sex hormones play a role in this closure. This will result in neutered dogs being taller and leggier than un-neutered.

Getting a dog a year or older spayed is going to be more expensive as it is a longer more complicated surgery. It may cost 2-3x the immature spay price.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

My Social Networking

Follow Drew Good On Twitter Add Drew Good on Facebook

Here are 2 really good reads on the subject and why not to spay/neuter until the dog is at least 2 years old....

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
    Our Dogs
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Springwaters Quick to Maxx
    Babyducks Miss Carbon Express
    DDLabs Star

R.I.P. Flatlands Diesel Power Surge "Turbo"
    R.I.P. Greenacres Diesel

After considering all of the above, I chose to neuter my male Pudelpointer at 14 months. More to avoid the behaviour issues and related to having an intact teenage male in the house, with my wife in charge of his care for most of the day. I think for a kennel dog it's much less an issue. For a female, neutering after their first heat at 14-16 mos may be a good compromise if you don't intend to breed.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf...65?cookieSet=1

Try this article too. Gives societal and behavioural consequences as well as health.