Zinger Winger Nimkii Game Calls Dakota Creek Retrievers Canadian Waterfowl Supplies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Lab with itch

Puppy

Default Black Lab with itch

This black lab rubs the hair off his belly. My buddy has tried different soaps, dog foods etc. Any suggestions to cure his itch would be greatly appreciated.
    DaniLapierre

I think we need a bit more information. Are there any sores present? How about a rash or redness? Is the dog scratching the fur off its belly or is it being rubbed off by something else?

Fill in the blanks for us please and we might be able to suggest a few things.
    Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers:

Meg - FTCH Elmingo's Prime Suspect
    Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, CD, Can/Am WCX
    Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling Aug 1997 - Jan 2010
    Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH, WC Mar 1994 - Oct 2007

Puppy

Dog is a 4 year old male. He rubs the hair off his belly and always wants to scratch, he is on monthly flea medicine. He has no sores ,was fine all summer but latlely he is really itchy. Gets dried off every time he goes in the water, weekly bath with? and alovara oil. Changed his dog food a few times and get omega 3 supplement.....Any suggestions? Thanks
    DaniLapierre

Field Champion

Cool dog wash

dog have natural oils in there skin and coat over bathing can cause dry skin and some time when bathing your pet you don't get there under side rinsed off properly . the vet can take a skin scraping and find any irritations on the skin .and how it needs to be treated .

Puppy

They wash the dog once a week. He has lots of white flacks of dead skin on his rump. Looks like it's time to go to the vet. Thanks
    DaniLapierre

Field Champion

Cool to much

i'm no vet but i think thats way to much on the bathing . there taking away all the dogs natural oil and drying out the dogs skin .it would be worth a visit to the vet before it developes into something more serious .

Master Hunter

Sounds like allergies to me .....

Default Possible allergy

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Duck View Post
    Sounds like allergies to me .....
    Ditto.

Grass molds are a pretty common allergy. One of mine had a similar issue and it was solved by removing grain from his diet. It takes at least a couple of months to determine if a new food is helping with the problem.
    Is he red and ichy between his toes? Ichy ears?

Good luck figuring it out.

Puppy

I'll check his toes and ears on the weekend when he comes for a hunt. We changed his food one week ago, no grains,corn or beet pulp. It contains a lot of salmon etc... Thanks, he is booked to the vet for a second visit for the itch.
    DaniLapierre

My vet told me that with some of the topical flea / tick medicine can actually work opposite of killing fleas ticks and can have the ill effects to the dog instead.