Dakota Creek Nimkii Game Calls Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Zinger Winger Lacross Footwer>
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CKC Listing Fee

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Couldn't agree more about leading by example but sometimes that just doesn't work.......

As far as judging, yup, you're right, many of us do many trials over many years although if you're saying judging lets you off the hook from joining a club.....I disagree.

We still have the apathetic group though as Bill mentioned
    There are many people involved in this sport who don't live anywhere near an existing club. In lieu of that, some dedicate time and money (read not charging host clubs for judging expenses) judging three or more trials per year, as an alternate means of giving back.

If you start charging people like that for not being club members, they'll simply buy an out of area membership, sit on their duffs and start charging for judging expenses.......see the folly in that kind of thinking?

Policing people's integrity and commitment will open up a whole other can of worms and create even more division that is simply not good for the game.

The sport needs more leaders.......not more police.

Quote Originally Posted by Labguy View Post
    There are many people involved in this sport who don't live anywhere near an existing club. In lieu of that, some dedicate time and money (read not charging host clubs for judging expenses) judging three or more trials per year, as an alternate means of giving back.

If you start charging people like that for not being club members, they'll simply buy an out of area membership, sit on their duffs and start charging for judging expenses.......see the folly in that kind of thinking?

Policing people's integrity and commitment will open up a whole other can of worms and create even more division that is simply not good for the game.

The sport needs more leaders.......not more police.
    My original comment was using Ontario as a context where there are approx. 13 clubs for people to join. No one lives that far away from an area club. In any event it's like posting to the converted here on this forum....most if not all are very involved in the sport.

Have no idea where the comment about 'policing people's integrity' would be coming from? I would however question the commitment some people have towards our game.....that is very obvious in our part of the country at times. And by the way suggesting we need police is not my idea.

You are so right about the sport needing more leaders...but that requires effort. I've just completed a third term as NRCC President, I can speak to the effort by some of our members who have dedicated time and energy to assist in improving our sport for everyone. I can also speak to areas where we are lacking.

Happy New Year,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Have no idea where the comment about 'policing people's integrity' would be coming from? I would however question the commitment some people have towards our game.....that is very obvious in our part of the country at times. And by the way suggesting we need police is not my idea.
    I suspect Labguy's comment about policing and penalties derived from when you said:

"Hell we have people running trials in Canada that refuse to join/belong to a club....maybe we should address that issue....maybe we should charge them more to run a trial."

I know club membership is a pet peeve of yours and perhaps this was a tongue in cheek comment because I'm sure you also know entry event fees must be the same for all (CKC Bylaws).

Volunteerism can't be effectively regulated. Retriever News and Entry Express have been promoting a Volunteerism ethic for the past couple of years. I recall their minimum standard was 3 full days. There are lots of way to help the game. Some are not very public profile but nonetheless contribute a lot to the game.

We all know folks that are always helping out at trials beyond their own club. Others do very little and we have learned over the years that no amount of peer pressure changes the ethics of participants.

Anyway, it's soon a New Year so I hope all (clubs, participants and dogs) have a great one!

Best

Dennis